Thursday, June 8, 2023

Why Visit Someone if there is no Need?

Unveiling the Power of Meaningful Connections

Why visit someone if there is no need? This question has lingered in my mind ever since an encounter I had during a train journey from Kerala to Chennai. I noticed a couple who traveled alongside me in the same compartment. They seemed reserved, hardly exchanging more than a few words throughout the entire journey. Curiosity got the better of me when I met them again on the same couch during the return journey, I took the opportunity to strike up a conversation.

To my surprise, the man revealed that they were traveling to counsel someone. They had embarked on an overnight journey solely to provide guidance and support to another individual. It struck me as peculiar, considering their limited interaction with each other. Before we reached our destination, I mentioned that I lived nearby and extended an invitation to visit. The man's response challenged me deeply. He questioned the purpose of the visit, emphasizing that it should be mutually beneficial to either of us.

His words stayed with me, and over the years, I contemplated their meaning. Although I didn't fully embrace the idea at the time, it left an indelible mark. Whenever an opportunity arises, I make an effort to meet people who have been part of my fellowship, even those who were once strangers. While I no longer actively seek out new connections, I find joy in reconnecting with those who have played a role in my life, especially if they are nearby.

Some people make connections for personal gain, to market or sell a product or service. However, visiting someone holds value even when there is no specific need. It is an opportunity to connect with those who have shown love, to reunite with former colleagues or leaders, or to support neighbors, church members, or the parents of friends who may be elderly or unwell.

Recently, my wife and I traveled to Bangalore to spend a day with a close friend and colleague who serves as a pastor in the city. There were several other friends from my past who resided there as well. We had studied and graduated together three decades ago-they decided to gather together as we were visiting the city. Additionally, there was a family friend from our church, a mission organization where we once worked, and retired leaders of that organization. Some were facing health challenges, including one bedridden senior friend who struggled to communicate. Another friend had gone from being an office boy to a respected leader. Moreover, my wife's distant relative, an elderly woman, cherished sharing with us ever since we first met. We also had a friend whose wife was undergoing treatment, and we had been praying for their family. Additionally, a couple who were our former co-tenants had parents living in the city, a bit far from our host's home.


Within a day and by the next morning, we managed to visit all of them. Three friends generously offered to drive us to different stretches for these meetings and visits.

It was purely personal, with no official business or future agendas in mind. There were many others we could have visited, including two families of my cousins a bit far away. 

This one from the previous meeting in 2021

We are all unique individuals, each with our strengths, limitations, and places in society. Yet, there is often a common bond of love that connects us to others. It is worth visiting, chatting, making others feel valued, and offering prayers on their behalf. Friendships can extend beyond the confines of offices, organizations, congregations, or communities. They can transcend reasons and rationales. 


The elderly woman in her bed and who is turning 90 asked us a lot of questions and updated us on several relations, sharper than anyone whom we have ever met. She was joyful and even cracked jocks that can not be expected !. While parting I said, “If God allows, we will see again…” She immediately added, “Or beside our Father”. When I was about to pray for her, she started with an old hymn of hope in the vernacular. Upon returning home, I received a WhatsApp message from a senior colleague expressing gratitude for our visit and prayers.

In the end, visiting others without a specific need serves a purpose of its own. It does not need measurable gains or fiscal value. It cultivates relationships, fosters empathy, and demonstrates care for our fellow human beings. It reminds us of the interconnectedness we share and the power of love and compassion in our lives. 


Personal Profile and Pages: https://sites.google.com/view/philipose-create

See the New Release, Trekking the Tribal Trail Click Here 

My Focus on People https://sites.google.com/view/focusonpeople 

My YouTube Channel 

No comments: